Thursday, July 10, 2014

81st Letter: "Happy 8th of July!"

Family!
Hey hey hey its your boy Elder Barrus! :) Its so good to hear how good each of you are doing!! It most definitely brings a smile to my face! Sounds though that each of you have been crazy busy! Which is good because I have as well!!  I described to you last week basically everything that was going to be happening this week, and everything happened, and much much more... Everything went great but it was crazy!! So MLC went great, it was a little nerve racketing training the best missionaries most of which I had been companions with before, but the spirit that was in the room was incredible. Revelation flew from all of our mouths as we sought for inspiration of how to lead the mission. After that on Friday we went up to Espanola NM for Zone Training and had a wonderful time with those missionaries in the Santa Fe zone. After which I stayed in Espanola on exchanges with Elder Morris (who was the only spanish elder that came out with me) he is a fantastic missionary, and a good friend! We had a great time there teaching all of the druggies of Espanola. Everything was going as planned, and we were to have the weekend and yesterday to focus on proselyting in our area! Until we get a call from President Miller telling us that we needed to emergency transfer a missionary as soon as possible and it was on us to do it. Just as we got done with that we texted President and we let him know that the transfer went well, he responded "Perfect, call me later tonight we have another ET situation." So in the last 48 hours we have had to ET two missionaries... Its been quite the ride! Needless to say I am excited to relieve some stress by playing some bball in a couple hours!

Things have been good though. It definitely has been different, and really stressful and kind of discouraging at times, but I have been happy for sure. The hardest thing I think has been leaving an area like Mesilla Valley (LC) that I loved so much where I got to know so many wonderful people that I grew to deeply love, and then coming here where when I came in they were teaching 2 investigators that weren't progressing and really don't even want us to come over. This hasnt been something to terribly new for me I have had to deal with that literally in every area that I have entered. I came to a humble realization that Heavenly Father he wanted me to gain that same love for this area just as I have had for my other areas. That meant that I needed to have more faith and work harder at finding those that are prepared! Since I realized that on Wednesday we have seen incredible blessings. We have found 3 solid investigators, one of which I want to tell you about. His name is Rudy, we came into contact with him by receiving a referral for him from one of his friends that is serving in the Las Vegas mission. Rudy wasnt too terribly surprised when we showed up at his door, but still wasnt expecting it. He accepted to meet with us and we had one of the most powerful Restoration lessons that been apart of on my mission! It was incredible how powerful the spirit was as we taught him, he was listening so intently and you could definitely tell that he was feeling the spirit. After the lesson we proceeded to invite him to follow the example of Jesus Christ by being baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority of God, and he immediately accepted, there was no hesitation. Right after he said yes he began to smile and you could tell he was excited for what laid before him. Truly was an incredible experience and I have already grown to love Rudy. Its amazing how we were taught in the MTC to invite someone to be baptized on the first and every lesson, I never really gained a testimony of that until I have applied it. God is working miracles among us, what a blessing it is to witness and to be apart of that! :) 

We also had a crazy experience this last week too, as we were teaching Jesse for the first time. The lesson started off great and the spirit definitely was with us as we taught about the Restoration, and we got to the point where we invited him to read the Book of Mormon and his facial expressions changed, and he got a creepy like possessed face on and just said straight up "NO", we were really confused because he just said how much he wanted to change and that he believed everything. We asked him with a puzzled look if there was a reason why and he didnt say a word back. We told him that it would bring him happiness, and he said that he was already happy... And just stared us down. I thought he was going to kill Elder Jensen. I am convinced that he got possessed like immediately as we invited him to read the Book of Mormon, it was weird. Other than that things are going great though! haha 

Love you all tons and hope you have a great week! 
Elder Nic Barrus

No comments:

Post a Comment