Tuesday, August 12, 2014

85th Letter: "Hey Fam!"

Dear Family,
I am sorry that it has gotten so late in the week and I haven't been able to write you! Do doubt this has been the craziest busiest week of my mission!! First off thank you all for your continual letters that you have been writing me, they mean allot and I can definitely feel of your love. So to kind of explain the intensity of the week, it all started with getting 25 new missionaries on Monday. It went really well, but just the fact that you are responsible for 25 missionaries at one time, to get their housing, transportation, training, interview with president...etc in order takes allot of brain power. So needless to say Monday night I was exhausted, and really we didn't get to bed till early Tuesday morning. So Tuesday at 7am was our transfer meeting, so after our pinch of sleep we rounded up the troops and headed over to the church. The meeting went supper well, I was amazed how smoothly it went. Then all day Tuesday we were with the departing missionaries, and housed and transported all 20 of them. Wednesday morning they headed to the airport and headed off, it was a super depressing departing group for me as I got way close to allot of those missionaries. After we dropped the missionaries off at the airport President Miller commanded us to go home and get some sleep, we were able to get a couple hours of rest, but at 3pm we had to go to the airport and meet with President to plan MLC for the following day, that took the rest of the day and we didnt get home Wednesday night till about 12pm. Yesterday was MLC obviously, and it was a powerful meeting. We really felt impressed in our planning to focus on how missionaries and members need to work together, and how it is a responsibility of the missionaries to help the members be engaged. We have noticed in our mission that since the hastening of the work that missionaries have taken a step back and just put the weight of missionary work on the shoulders of members, or they just get too frustrated with the members and just do all of the missionary work by themselves. It was powerfully impressed upon our minds the importance and the significance that it would have on our mission, if missionaries and members learned how to properly work together. Yesterday we discussed ways to help this happen, various things that missionaries can do to strengthen the relationships with the members. 

Also something that I have forgotten to tell you is that Elder Figgins brother came into the mission for Elder Figgins last 2 weeks. He has high functioning cerebral palsy, he has always wanted to be a missionary, and so President Miller has allowed him to come. What is so awesome about it as well is that they are staying at our apartment. He is such a special young man and brings a powerful spirit about him. I am sure that you remember but Elder Figgins and I served together in Las Cruces, and he has become a very close friend we will definitely always be close throughout our lives.  

Family I love and appreciate all that you do. I know that I have been called of God to be a set apart representative of Jesus Christ at all times, to be able to bring the joys of the gospel into the lives of those around me, but I also know with all of my heart that this isnt the responsibility of just the missionaries! Members in all parts of the world need to join hands in this great cause of truth. Open your mouth and witness the blessings of missionary work! :) 
Love 
Elder Barrus :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment