Monday, December 8, 2014

101st Letter: "Happy Thanksgiving!"

Dear Family,
Welp, hello here I am again! Its probably been around 100 times now that I have written home. The weeks seems to be going by faster and faster too! I need to find out why that is and see if I can slow it down a few notches! ;) I think the biggest reason has been how busy things are lately especially with Elder Corbridge being here. That really sped up time a bit! The weekend just flew bye. It was pretty depressing yesterday when it hit me that this is probably the last time that I will be in Las Cruces as a missionary. Ah I love Las Cruces so much! It really is one of my 5 homes that I have developed on my mission. It was a great experience yesterday going to see everyone that I had taught. It was days like yesterday that makes me feel so incredibly grateful for the chance that I have had to serve. Being able to see Ezekiel Flores (RC) and see how good he is doing, how grateful he is that he was able to receive the Melchizedek priesthood and the different things that he is doing to spread the gospel. It was amazing to see the Dawsons. To see their progression and the depth of their testimonies. Both Ezekiel and the Dawsons you wouldnt be able to guess that they were just baptized 8 months ago. They truly are deeply rooted in the gospel. What an incredible blessing it was for me to have been able to play a part in their conversion.

So Elder Corbridge's visit was great, a little stressful at times for us but it was great. I learned allot on the structure of the church and how things are ran when there is a man of high authority present. I was so self conscious the whole experience making sure that I didn't do anything wrong. I didnt mess up conducting so I am grateful for that. Anybody that has conducted a large meeting before knows what I mean when I say it can be stressful. He provides some really powerful training though, he talked allot about what the "most important thing is" and how that should be our sole focus on everything that we do. And how that most important thing is in one phrase "the atonement" and in a sentence. "Partaking of the fruit of the tree of life and helping others do the same." There was tons of other thoughts and things that I will share with you from his visit when I come home. It was awesome.

So my number #4 thing I have learned from my mission:
1 Nephi 10:28 "I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him, as well in times of old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men."

This truth is a testimony to me that God desires to give ALL of us knowledge and truth. I have seen that come to pass over and over again on my mission. Before my mission scripture study was definitely not very effective and I have come to know on my mission why that was. It was because I didn't have Gods full trust to be able to receive knowledge and light. God is not going to give us understanding if He knows that we arent going to act on it and if we arent going to accept that understanding. Just as in spider-man, "with great power, comes great responsibility" so with the gospel, "with great knowledge, comes great responsibility and I add accountability." God will never condemn us with knowledge that we arent ready for. It is my prayer that all of us will seek how we can better gain the Lords trust, whether it means being more obedient to what he has already given us or whether it means being more diligent in seeking it through consistent scripture reading, and spiritual church and temple attendance. I am so grateful for the light and knowledge that the Lord has entrusted in me! How beautiful is His perfect plan!

Take care and have a great week! Love you tons! Happy Thanksgiving!
I am thankful for an awesome eternal family!
Elder Nicholas Barrus


No comments:

Post a Comment