Thursday, February 21, 2013

5th Letter


Dear Family,
Life as a Res rat has been pretty good so far!! It's been the longest week, but I have really enjoyed it out here!! We are constantly busy which is good, but that also means that we are pretty tired a lot too... This area is definitely a service area like I said before, we are constantly chopping wood for people in hope that they will listen to our message as a payment of our service ha at least that is what it seems like. On Saturday we spent all day chopping down trees! It was a lot of work, but there are alot of people in Alamo that desperately rely on the wood for heating there homes. There is no such thing as a house in Alamo, everyone lives in run down trailors that are in horrible condition which is sad, but they dont want to work so they just rely on the little money that they get from the government each month. It's funny though cause all of them have really nice cars and like 60" TV's ha so when we show the Testaments its in life size. People here are way nice, and are usually willing to hear what we have to say even though it seems like none of them are listening.... But we press on and pray that the spirit will touch their hearts.
 
So we give like at least 3 blessings a day, everyone is really sick here or atleast thats what they tell us so that we will leave, but anyways my companion asks everyone if they would like a blessing which is good, but a lot of them are like "well I dont care it's up to you". Ha So we really try to tell them of how the blessing works, that is up to their faith wether or not the blessing will be effective. It always makes us laugh a little because all of them say that after we ask. So we went over to one of our investigators house who has a baptismal date for the 17th of March so thats exciting, she is blind and has alot of health issues, but anways so the first time we went over there I introduced myself, I was like hi I'm Elder Barrus and she was like hi Elder Yuunsiiin or (however you spell it in Navajo) ha so first off Collier (Branch misison leader) gave me that name which yuunsiiin means embarrass in Navajo... ha but it was really funny cause she said it right when I introduced myself. And she really likes me already haha we asked her who she wanted to give the blessing and she would be like... Yuunsiiin haha who do you want to say the prayer.... Yuunsiin and on and on haha Shes funny and hopefully things will continue to progress towards the 17th.
 
I dont have too much time to write today we have alot to do, but I'll answer some of your guys questions before I go. There is a little gas station in Alamo that is like the Springfield market, the milk is like $10 so we dont go shopping there much. We actually cover another town outside of the Res too called Magdalena, thats actually where I am right now, but it has a Family Dollar, thats where we do most of our shopping. Yeah I got a blanket and pillow so I sleep good at night!! :) Please please send off that package ASAP I need a jacket if not 2 and some more ties would be nice too. Love you guys tons and keep praying for me, especially our investigators!! HOW ARE THE RED SOXS DOING?!! ha its killing me! There has to be some news in the last month. ha jk :) Keep Bo alive too!!

Love, Elder Barrus 

No comments:

Post a Comment