Wednesday, March 6, 2013

7th Letter: Life's Good!!


Dear Family!!!
It's good to hear that you guys had a good week and had fun celebrating Tiff's birthday. I thought about her all Sunday.... It was the first birthday that I have missed in 18 years!! But no I hope you guys treated her well!! :) So I have had another amazing week probably one of the best weeks of my mission so far!! So as a mission we have been fasting and praying for new investigators. And it has been amazing to see the results come from those prayers! Elder Lish and I had 6 new investigators last week and we already have 3 new ones this week! It's unbelievable, but the work in Alamo is really progressing and I just feel so blessed to be apart of it!!
 
So I'll just go straight to the part that I want to talk to you guys about. Yesterday we went on exchanges with the Socorro Elders so me and Elder Reber (who came out with me the same day) went to Alamo while Elder Lish came to Socorro. So I was the leader that day, in charge of who we were going to go see and what we were going to teach them. I really wanted to have a good day, so I prayed to know of the things that the Lord wants me to do to be an instrument in his hands throughout the day. So we went throughout the day visiting everyone that I new, and we were having amazing lessons!! I gained so much confidence in myself, knowing that I can be a successful missionary myself. So anyways the day was going really good and we went to one of your Eternagators Margaritas house, I think I told you guys a little bit about her before but I invited her to be baptized my second day out here and she said no and she has said no for the last two years that missionaries have gone over to see her. So we were kinda in a hole with her, not really knowing which direction to go with her next, whether to reteach her all of the discussions again, probably for the third time or to just give up in a way because she wasn't progressing at all! But first off last Friday we went over to visit her and she was really sick, so we asked her if she wanted a blessing, she said yes and asked if I would give it. The spirit was so strong during the blessing and she just started crying during the blessing. It was an amazing experience. So Elder Reber and I went over there yesterday and I was planing on just building off of the blessing, and then maybe go back into Gods love for her. But right when I sat down to talk with her, I instantly had the impression not to do that. And during the opening prayer I was like ok I won't do it, but Heavenly Father what do you want me to teach then?! And right when we said amen to the prayer I instanltly thought of a verse in 2 Nephi 31 verse 13 I think. I wasn't positive what it said, but I just knew it talked about baptism. And at first I was like all we have done with her is pressure her into baptism over and over again. But I just thought if this is what the Spirit is telling me to teach then I better listen. The spirit was so strong while I read the verse, I explained every line with her and what it meant. And then at the end it talks about the Holy Ghost and how we get that gift at baptism. I brought up how she felt the Holy Ghost testifiying to her during the blessing last time and how good that made her feel. I then told her of the ring analogy that we can have the Holy Ghost (the ring) touching us, but it has to go away. But when we are baptized we actually put that ring on, and we have it as a constant companion. The spirit was strong, but she still was very conceided at that point with her one word answers and her knods. So finally I was like. Margarita what is holding you back from being baptized? She was quiet for a second and then said nothing is holding me back...I.. I just dont know right now. I said you dont feel like you should type of thing? and she kinda said yes. Then I was like Margarita I feel like you need to say a prayer RIGHT now and ask Heavenly Father if baptism is what you need to do right now. She was still quiet but kinda went along with it. I waited for her to start, and she never did. (I figured she knew how to pray because she has met with the missionaries for so long) So I asked her if she wanted me to explain to her how to pray, and she said yes, so I did. So after I was done explaining, I said are you ready. She nodded again, but never started so I felt impressed to say the prayer with her like you would a child. I said "Dear Heavenly Father.... she would repeat... please help me to know if you want me to be baptized... (She just started crying again) please help me know and feel if this is what you want me to do.... please help me..... in the name of Jesus Christ Amen". After the prayer I asked her how she was feeling she explained the same feeling she had during the blessing. I said, Margarita, that is the spirit telling you that you need to be baptized.... (she was just crying)......Margarita its telling you that your ready!!....(silence).....Margarita will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized....etc on March 23rd.....(more silence) she was still crying, but nodded her head and said yes!! It was amazing, how the spirit directed the lesson. I was only a mouth piece, I am just so glad that I listened to the spirts prompting because it truly knows what needs to be said!!
 
Gosh I love this gospel!!! I am so grateful to be an instrument in the Lords hands!! I hope to continue to be such throughout my mission. I love you all and know that I am continuing praying for you guys also!! Loves much give BO snuggles for me! Take Care
Love Elder Barrus

No comments:

Post a Comment