Thursday, March 14, 2013

8th Letter: "My Family!!"


Dear Family,
I also can't believe that another week has gone by!! It is crazy to think that this is the last week of the transfer already!! I'm definitely going to be staying in Alamo with Elder Lish for one more transfer since you are trained for 2 transfers, so April 30th (Amandas birthday) is when the next transfer is up. Im guessing that I will be staying in Alamo, probably training a new missionary....that's so crazy to think!! It's good to hear that everyone is doing good!! You guys live boring lives though haha jk I want some excitement!! Amandas MARRIED or Dad built half of a fence again or Chelsea is pregnant (she probably is) ;) ha jk I love your guys letters!! Its good to hear that Zac and Chels found a house that's awesome!! I cant see any pics so if you can send some if possible that would be great!! I'm sorry to hear about Johns mom, I know that she was going through a lot of pain so I'm sure she is a lot better with how she is feeling now. But it is always a lot harder for those who she left behind, please let John and Nancy know that I love them and will be praying for them!!
 
So me and Elder Lish had another really good week!! We have really been working hard and striving daily to do everything that the Lord would want us to do throughout the day. We have really seen the blessings come from doing so. Margarita didn't come to church on Sunday..... and she is never home, but we are continuing to pray for her and that she can continue to progress towards her baptismal date. That has really been the only thing that has been getting me down lately. We are continuing to receive new investigators daily, which is amazing!! Ha yesterday we had a funny experience. So in the last Zone training we had they want us to focus on 1 hour of finding activity a day, starting this week. So Elder Lish asked me yesterday what we should do as our activity today? And I felt inspired to go to the only store in Alamo (called Tree big in English) and see if anyone will talk to us there. Because we cant go tracking on the reservation, its illegal. So I promised Elder Lish that we will find at least one new investigator there, and he kind of laughed it off and said alright lets do it. So we went to the store and we were waiting in line to buy our stuff and this kinda goofy guy came up behind us and said, "theres a guy that came in looking for you guys yesterday?!" and we were like oh yeah who? he said, "Jesus" and started laughing haha so we started talking to him and asked him if he would be interested in us coming over and he accepted!! haha There are some really weird people out here on the res!! ha but I love them!!
 
Last night we had a really cool experience teaching one of our investigators named Shannon (early 30's). We were again guided by the spirit and changed our lesson plans, basically during the lesson to meet his needs, but the spirit really directed us and enabled the spirit to more fully touch his heart. We talked a lot about the example of Jesus Christ, and what he directs us to do. We then invited him to baptism and he accepted!! But it gets better!! He then said that he has 3 daughters that he wants to get baptized also!! :) I'm pretty sure that they are all over the age of 8, at least I hope, we will see tomorrow when we see him again. The only thing that is an issue with him is that he lives with his girlfriend (like every other Native!! just get married!!) so the law of Chastity will be fun to teach him! No, but he has a real testimony, and he said that he will do anything that Jesus wants him to do. So I am excited to see how that goes!! :) Missionary work is so great!! I feel so blessed to be apart of it!! To see people change their old ways and come unto Christ has brought me more joy than anything else in my life!! The work in Alamo is progressing so speedily! We have like 15 potential baptisms before the end of the next transfer, so im excited to see how that turns out!! 
 
I don't know if I told you but there is a senior couple in Alamo too. The Crofts from Morgan, UT. I love them to death!! There are just like Grandpa and Grandma Barrus, Elder Croft wont sit down and is constantly fixing things around the Reservation, and Sister Croft makes like a million cookies a day!! Ha they are so nice and do sooo much for Elder Lish and I. We really appreciate them.
 
I don't know if you heard or not but they announced my new mission president a couple weeks ago and its another President Miller. It's kinda funny, but I am excited to see how he is. I love the current President Miller, he is an outstanding Mission President and does so much for us. I could easily see him in the 70 our high leadership in the church in the future.
 
So not much goes on on P-days in Alamo... The church doesn't have a gym and the nearest missionaries are an hour and a half away from us so we usually just go on hikes, make dream catchers or throw hatchets at a tree...
 
The more success we have been having the more weird things have been going on at nights around our apartment.... I know Satan realizes what potential we have on the area and he is putting all of his servants to try to stop us. We kept hearing something banging on the door last night and something walking in the gravel around our windows...Crazy story so Elder Lish saw horse tracks around our apartment and there is no way a horse could get in... we have a fence up around us and the only entrance has an intense cattle guard... the only explanation...............Mitsos aka Skinwalkers. I'm not joking either. Read about the Gadianton robbers in the Book of Mormon they would transfigure it said.
 
But I want to start a new thing in our emails, each email that we send to each other, everyone has to put a scripture in that they like and kind of explain it. I will start
 
Alma 29:9 This is one of my new favorite scriptures and it truly does describe the joy that I have as being one of the Lords servants.

I love you family and I am so grateful for all that you guys do for me!! I miss you guys so much!! Please start sending pictures if possible, I love to see your guys faces haha.... The only thing that I am starting to be in need of is some more church pants, they get really worn out chopping wood and what not. So if you have time or want to send me a package that's what I'm in need of. And maybe sun glasses.
 
Thanks again for all that you do!!
Love,
Elder Barrus aka Nic"ed" :) hope dads not mad I said that haha
 
P.S keep me informed on my Red Soxs and the Jazz. I don't care if they are doing bad I want to know why they are doing bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment