Thursday, May 23, 2013

18th Letter: "Birthday Boy Right Here!!!"


Dear Family,
Another beautiful day here in Magdalena (70's no wind)... I'm still in shock on how fast May is going by!! This transfer is going to be over before I know it!! Thanks everyone for the emails, they mean a lot!! Keep it up!! Sounds like everyone is doing good for the most part. Seems like you all are staying pretty busy!! Hope Tiff can hold off till Saturday to have the baby!! That's a great day!! ;) Amanda seems like she is being her busy self and can't leave work. Zac I'm guessing is getting settled into their place. And Mom and Dad are working their tails off I'm sure. And Bo is sleeping. Love that dog. So here we are again, I'm trying to think of some of the cool experiences that we had this last week. But basically all of our investigators are progressing really well. We now have 6 investigators on date. But Savannah has been going through a lot lately and kind of has shut us off, but hopefully she will let us back in soon. We work a lot with our less actives out here, and have seen a lot of success come by that!! In the month of April we reactivated like 10 people, and the branch is starting to feel up. Elder Lish and I still bless the sacrament and usually participate in about 80% of church, but hopefully that will start to lower as branch grows.
 
We set a baptism date last week with one of our part member families. Jr. Secatero (the guy we helped cut wood when I first got here) his wife Richinda. Doesn't understand a lick of English I don't think so we really work through Jr on the Lessons. When we asked her to be baptized she yelled A'ooo!! Which is yes haha it was kinda funny!! She is set for June 8th. Pretty solid she will make that date.
So: as it stands hopefully
Norna and Hillbert, and Richinda will be baptized on the 8th
Terri Apachito on the 1st
Savannah... sometime haha
 
 
This last p-day we went on another hike up Hop Canyon, different trail this week. It was a blast. Beautiful weather. I took a lot of pictures so when I get back the memory stick I sent to you. Yeah that is like the 4th pday in a row that we went on a hike with the Crofts. Ha there is nothing else to do!! I have really grown to enjoy it though! Plus it has been a really good way to exercise. I run every morning, and try to do some sort of workout. I want the mission to be a benefit to my health not a hindrance. So far it has payed off, this last week I have really been working hard, and have lost 10 pounds in just this last week. I hope to keep it going. Its hard though when you have dinner apt and the Navajos feed you fat... There has been a ton of deaths lately here, the health care is horrible. (not too surprised about that article Zac...its sad) All I hear every day is a story on how bad the clinic in Alamo is. Everybody has a bad experience with them. One guy had an infection in his surgery that he just had, and so he went in to the clinic and they lifted up his shirt took one look at the infection and said oh your fine just get some rest. So it never got better, he went to ABQ and they said it was a serious infection and that he is lucky he came in when he did.... Just one of the many stories I could tell of them. We see the ambulance go by at least twice a day. With 90% diabetes rate it is bound to happen.
 
I have been doing great though!! Got over the sickness last week, and have just been loving life!! My testimony is growing so much everyday, and have seen my relationship with my Heavenly Father be strengthen the more I am in the service of him. I got the conf. talks CD on Monday and have been listening to them this week. One thing that I have been looking for is the repetition of things said between the speakers, and it seemed like at least 5 times Helaman 5:12. I love that scripture because it is so relevant today. As I have been on the mission I have seen so many people especially members go through a lot of trials. And see how their foundation wasn't built upon Christ, and how they weren't prepared for the trial. And thus they fell away and didn't trust in the Lord. We live in a world that just living the gospel isn't enough, we have to be fully converted, and strive daily to strengthen our foundation. I truly believe that there will be a time in each of our lives that we will be truly tested by a trial. I pray that when that experience comes for me and for each of you (may have already come) that our foundation will have been strong enough to endure.
 
I love you all so much and pray for you daily!! I hope all of you are doing great, and loving life!!
That reminded me of something I heard a guy say last week that really troubled me. He said that He knows that life isn't meant to be happy. That nothing in this life can make us happy. HOW SAD!! I always think of the quote by President Hinckley that is hanging in Mom and Dads room. Life is to be enjoyed!! We weren't sent here to suffer!! Its up to us to decide our personal happiness!! That's why free agency is such a blessing!! Our happiness is predetermined like so many believe!!
 
Anyways I love you again!! Take care
Love
Elder Barrus
 
Isaiah 41:10 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment